The Office of Conflict Management Services supports the mission of Appalachian State University by supporting a positive work environment and the development of interpersonal communication and conflict management skills for all university faculty and staff.
The Office of Conflict Management Services aspires for Appalachian State University to be recognized locally and nationally as one of higher education's "Best Employers." This vision is accomplished through the active promotion of interpersonal working relationships and working environments that are positive, supportive and productive. The Office of Conflict Management Services supports this visions through educational programs and informal relationship-based interventions.
The Office of Conflict Management Services promotes healthy working relationships through:
- Respect: Valuing all individuals and their points of view
- Inclusiveness: Welcoming, respecting, and celebrating differences and similarities in culture, thought, and actions
- Impartiality: Listening and guiding conversation without bias or prejudice
- Integrity: Adhering to moral and ethical principles in all interactions, including confidentiality
- Caring: Promoting a working environment that encourages the development of individual and collective potential
- Collaboration: Fostering a culture of supportive and cooperative communication to advance and attain shared expectations and goals
The purpose of the Office of Conflict Management Services is to assist university faculty and staff in resolving interpersonal and relationship-based disputes that affect employee engagement, productivity and well-being. OCMS works to reduce workplace stress, improve employee health, support faculty and staff retention, and promote civility, diversity, and inclusiveness.
The goals of the Office of Conflict Management Services are:
- Prevent the escalation of conflicts through effective management of workplace disputes
- Foster a campus culture of genuine and respectful communication
- Increase faculty, staff, and supervisor satisfaction in the workplace
- Decrease the loss of individual and collective productivity due to workplace conflict
All services provided by OCMS are private. We will not identify you or discuss your concerns with anyone without your permission, except if there is a risk of harm to yourself or others; in this case we are obligated to report to authorized personnel.